Opoutere School Classroom Pet Inquiry
Classroom Pet Inquiry
- Brainstorm then discuss and develop criteria for a pet. Record and display for future reference.
- Brainstorm possible pets. Record for future reference. Add pets to this chart if they arise during the inquiry.
- Visit to Katikati Bird Gardens (or similar place).
- Two different birds brought to school and their owners are interviewed about pet needs and what it is like having a bird for a pet.
- Research the pet using various book and internet resources. For younger students or those with lower reading ability this could be done as a whole class shared reading lesson. Video eg and multi-media sites eg Dog Care are helpful.
- PMI (de Bono's Plus, Minus, Interesting chart) having a bird for a pet. This could be done as a whole class initially with young student then in groups. Display these.
- Repeat steps 3 - 6 with various pets e.g. a farm was visited to see a horse and a a pony was brought to school by its owner.
- Visit to vet - interview vet to find out needs of pets. Add information to the PMIs that arises from the interview. Revise criteria if necessary.
- Visit to S.P.C.A. - interview helper to find out needs of pets. Add information to the PMIs that arises from the interview. Revise criteria if necessary.
- Revisit PMIs. Narrow down to three - five choices using criteria.
- Students choose one of these pets.
- Students explain (verbally and in writing) the reasons for their choice in the form of a persuasive argument.
- Students vote on the class pet. Graph results to find chosen pet.
- Purchase the pet - this could be a mini inquiry as well.